Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Brand New Day!!! (Bum Bum... I Can Go Kayaking!)

Sorry,

The parenthesis have nothing to do with anything in this post. Anyways, feeling WAY better today and good thing too! We gave our tours today on the neighborhood of Trastevere (my home sweet home, which I found I knew absolutely nothing about). Things went very well. Andrew Holcombe, Pat Davis, Drew Thorson and I lead this mini tour through the city highlighting key historic buildings and churches. Several things happened today that I never thought I would do in Rome:

- I gave a tour in the city of Rome (thought that would only happen when family would come to town)
- I lead a tour that did not get thrown out of a building (the other group got tossed from a synagogue due to their instructor video taping and taking pictures, which were against the rules)
- I convened a group of students in front of the Ministry of Education building that later had protests at it (the police just kinda got excited by us being there, they must have realized we were ignorant Americans (Our teacher was nervous about it, mainly due to the riots that supposedly happened there over Christmas break)) So technically I "started" a protest against the Italian government (though not really)
- I opened a crypt under a church that contained two saints. (St. Cecilia is a 3rd century church that was renovated several times and at one time held St Valentines head, yes Feb. 14th St. Valentine. St. Cecilia now just is predominantly a martyr site in Rome due to the martyrdom of Cecilia herself.)
- I visited my second church that is significant on St. Valentines day due to the fact that it contained his head as a relic for a certain period of time.
- I visited two old sanitariums (No. I am not losing my mind. They are a Roman University and a museum respectively.

Kalamari...

Mike and his load of mussels (get it? its a terrible pun)

Paul frying kalamari

TASTY!!!

MMMMM!!!

Oh dinner! (and possible cause of illness, but soooo goood!)

Crypt of Santa Cecilia



They new how to make things the right way back in the day...

Santa Cecilia herself


Santa Maria in Trastevere

Fascist monument to the Unification of Italy


The small fountain downhill from the big one in Trastevere

No comments:

Post a Comment